Tuesday, September 30, 2008

12 MHz 286 chip. Who remembers what that looks like?

I'm not sure I do. But I do remember playing Double Dragon on a 4-colour CGA monitor and being dazzled by the amazing 16-colour 3D graphics of Mechwarrior:

This is from 1989. Looks like everything was made with cardboard and crayons, doesn't it? Compare that with, say Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries from 2002:

Or maybe even with Chromehounds, released 2006:


I've met a couple of people who think the technological singularity is impossible, that the human brain is simply to vastly complicated for us to even think about augmenting*. Just looking back at how computing power has progressed in my own short life, I'm inclined to disagree. Anyway, what brought this on was me stumbling on some stuff John Cleese did for Compaq. Enjoy:









LOADS more on Youtube. Go peek if you're bored and interested...

* Ignoring, of course, the infantile protests of those who stand against the Singularity on the utterly primitive and ignorant grounds that such activity is in the realm of "playing God".

No comments: