Saturday, April 25, 2009

Need a new tenugui...

Hokay, updates been a little slow lately. Apologies to anyone who actually derives any entertainment from reading my wee corner of teh intertoobs. Been inundating myself in books, Jap studies and kendo* lately, and will continue to do so for a bit longer.

Kendo feels GOOD. Even for those brief instants where I get bopped on the head and the tip of the bamboo blade hits the soft bit of my helmet and makes me see stars. It's like a flash of enlightenment! But seriously, I've gotta keep my damn chin up - I've still got use for those brain cells.

Anyhoo, saw this and thought of Ben Goldacre. I mean, seriously, having the words 'miracle', 'diet' and 'pill' in the headline reeks of cheap sensationalism. Check this out:

"It works by absorbing about 25 per cent of the fat from food, thereby preventing it being turned into extra pounds by the body."

Made by GlaxoSmithKline, too. Big pharma + weight loss miracle pill? I don't like the look of it one bit, and eagerly await Goldacre's eventual unmasking of yet another big pharma attempt to grab quick profits off the gullible masses.

Speaking of Goldacre, do check out his site. One of the chapters of his brilliant book, Bad Science is up for grabs. Not available in the hardback edition, because he was being sued for said chapter at the time. Yep, it's that good. Go grabbit. And be careful what your multivitamin supplements claim...

In other news, here's how to get out of bed, get dressed, have breakfast and get your ass out the door in less than 5 minutes:



There's some damn good tricks there. I like his necktie kung fu. And I'm really going to have to try putting on trousers without using my hands at some point, preferably when no-one's looking.

That's it from me for now. Today's a kendo day, and in a couple of hours, I'll be off to go shout very loudly and hit people with sticks, hurrah!

* And broken my first sword for the year...

No comments: