Monday, June 9, 2008

Quick note on Buddhism

A lot of atheists overlook Buddhism, which is fair enough, I suppose given that it's mostly the fundie adherents to the Abrahamic religions that are by far the most troublesome. That, plus Buddha was sane enough to admit to being very much mortal, and if I recall correctly, he expired of gastrointestinal troubles.


Anyway, I forget where I found this pic, possibly the RDF Facebook group:

Personally, I find it interesting to observe the parallels between Zen and the memetic theory of mind put forward by Blackmore, particularly regarding free will. Some find it depressing, I find it mind blowingly enlightening.

I totally recommend reading up on it, but do take it with a pinch of salt. Coming from a spiritual backdrop, even Zen is not safe from the taint of head-up-arse bullshit.

No comments: