Monday, July 7, 2008

Hurray for archaeology!

I remember someone on RDF once posed the question:

"If you could go back in time to assassinate Jesus, would you?"

I think it's greatly to the credit of the atheist community of RDF that almost everyone answered 'no' for various reasons. Of course, I went with 'no' myself, for 2 reasons:

1) I understand from various sources that at that point in time, so-called "messiahs" and "prophets" practically grew on trees, and Jesus just managed to draw the long straw. I have to concede that the Bible as it is now does in fact contain a couple of gems buried somewhere in there, and Matthew 7:12 is one of the more nicely-worded versions of the Ethic of Reciprocity that I'm familiar with. As such, I wouldn't want to risk snuffing Jesus only to have the beardy bugger replaced by some other schmuck who didn't manage to come up with something like the Ethic of Reciprocity.

2) If I were to go back in time to kill someone, it would have to be the inventor of either the necktie or karaoke.

But on the subject of many messiahs, I know how fundies are prone to believing that their beardy charlatan is the ONE TRUE beardy charlatan. So it was nice to open this week with this lovely article on IHT, in which a Hebrew tablet from before the time of Jesus describes yet another messiah. Of course, fundies will most certainly ignore this. They've managed to ignore evolution, radiocarbon dating, basic astronomy and geology quite thoroughly, so a stone tablet shouldn't be too much trouble. They don't even have to make the physical effort of plugging their ears and doing the "lalala I can't hear you lalala" mantra.

What I'm wondering is: Why do all their messiahs have to be zombies?

No comments: