Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oooh, bad idea....

This is causing quite a stir on IHT:


I mean, really, what were your first impressions of this cartoon? I'm not a regular reader of the New Yorker, so my first thought was that this was yet another cheap smear attack on Obama by ignorant right-wingers who thought they were being witty, like that delusional savage Jack Chick. It was only after I read the IHT article covering it that I realised that it was meant to be "a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create". In which case I go, "Oh! Very clever!"

But what about the vast majority of the American public which doesn't actually bother to read between the lines? You know, the God-fearing Republican conservatives who would interpret something like that as a summary of valid objections against Obama?

Of course, the obvious argument against that would be, "Noooo, surely no-one is THAT stupid?" What, in the land of the free, home of Ann Coulter, Ben Stein, the Klu Klux Klan, MTV, televangelism, Westboro Baptist Church and the Scopes Monkey Trial? Can't imagine why anyone would think that...

Ok, sarcasm aside, it just seems to me a little more thought was needed before plastering something like that all over the front cover...

No comments: