Sunday, July 20, 2008

Poetry!

It's a very, very rare thing indeed for a poem to grab my attention. I'm awfully old-fashioned when it comes to poems, that is, I generally expect them to rhyme. I will concede that, for certain individuals I'll make exceptions, for instance, Rives' performance at TED is well worth sharing:



However, this isn't really what prompted me to write this entry. I was enjoying Russell's History of Western Philosophy when this gem by Vaughan caught my eye. I've never heard of Vaughan before this, but these few lines struck me as being of such singular beauty that it would be a crime not to share them, so here they are:

I saw Eternity the other night,
Like a great ring of pure and endless light,
All calm, as it was bright;
And round beneath it, Time in hours, days, years,
Driven by the spheres
Like a vast shadow moved; in which the world
And all her train were hurled.

No comments: